Tuesday, April 19, 2011

~Hungarian stuffed peppers~

This is a Hungarian dish that my hubby and I really like. It's not really a "kid" food but my hubby really seemed to appreciate that I finally made something that is "grown up food" HA HA!! When I went to the produce store they had a deal on that you could get a whole bag of peppers for $1. Hence the reason I made this old Hungarian recipe:) Hungarian stuffed peppers:

  • Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds lean fround beef

  • 1 cup uncooked rice

  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika powder to taste

  • red, orange or yellow peppers. (no green ones!)

  • I used 20 small peppers

  • 2 tbs vegeta (vegetable seasoning)

  • 3/4 cup flour

  • 1 more tbs paprika

  • 1/2 cup oil

  • 1 1/2 small cans of tomato paste

Method:



  • Put on your rice to cook as you normally would and cook until the rice is 3/4 done. In the meantime gut your peppers by cutting off the top where the stem is and scooping out the "guts":)

  • Next mix your drained, cooked rice in with the ground beef and spices.

  • Stuff each pepper full and place in the bottom of your pot. You might have to do a few layers depending on the width of your pot. Use a big pot! I also made a few "meatballs" without the peppers and put them in the pot. The little kids would rather not eat peppers!!:):) But I can assure you they are tasty!

  • Next add enough water to cover your peppers.

  • Sprinkle with vegeta.

  • Bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes (covered).

  • Pour the juices into another pot and set your cooked peppers aside.

  • Next take a frying pan and place the oil in it.

  • Sprinkle the flour and the tbs of paprika on top.

  • Mix and cook on low for a little while. About 30 seconds or so.

  • Ladle some of the juices from your "juice" pot into the flour mixture and while stirring constantly and mix until you have a kind of runny mixture.

  • Pour this mixture into your pot of juices.

  • Stir constantly while cooking on medium low until your juices thicken a little.

  • Then thoroughly mix the tomato paste into the thickened juices and bring to a boil.

  • Now carefully pour your thickened, tomatoey sauce on top of your peppers that are waiting in the other pot!!! Serve with fresh, white bread made in your bread machine!! Or with some yummy hand made bread, or why not serve up a loaf of bread from your batch of six loaves? OR if you are like me and forgot to do any of that...just go with the store bought buns:):):)

4 comments:

FLmom7 said...

My mom used to make something like this when I was a kid...except she used Green Bell Peppers.

Mom of 12 said...

I love stuffed peppers! The kids like them too as long as they don't have to eat the peppers. Lots of fun recipes. We are putting one up for Bunny Rolls, an Easter favorite at our house.
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com

Stace said...

Looks devine!!! xxx

{can you please add me to your reading list please Tereza for my new blog that I started xxx}

Thanks so much, Stace xxx

mumma_stace@hotmail.com

{so glad you found me at my new blog, i love reading your comments to me !! xx}

MarzieCX said...

A stuffed pepper recipe, it is hard to find good hungarian dishes in english online. I will be trying this!

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...