Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crock pot yogurt

The crock pot is good for so many things!!! Here is some yogurt I made the other day. My kids LOVE yogurt so we go through a lot! Doesn't it look yummy? There are many variations on the Internet but this one seems to work well for me and is easy to do:)
CROCK POT YOGURT
8 cups whole milk
1 cup high fat plain yogurt (I buy the kind with no gelatin added)
Pour milk into a very clean crock pot~it is important for it to be very clean if you don't want your yogurt to taste like other foods you've made in there:) I wash mine by hand then also run it through the dishwasher on "hot" setting. This gets rid of the smell of spices etc.
Cook milk on "low" for 2 1/2 hours
Turn off but leave cover ON. Allow to cool for 3 hrs
Take a bit of the warm milk from your crock pot and mix the 1 cup of plain yogurt into it thoroughly
Pour back into the crock pot and mix well.
Put the lid back on and cover the whole crock pot with a heavy bath towel. Leave your crock pot off.
After about 8 hrs you'll have yummy home made plain yogurt!! Put in you fridge to chill. Once chilled.... You can add sugar, vanilla, fruit etc. YUM!

Recipes coming up
*large batch buttermilk rolls
*large batch whole wheat sandwich buns
*large batch white sandwich buns
*large batch delicious raisin bread
*flavorful gluten and egg free meatloaf

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks! I had no ıdea ıt was so easy!

missionarymomma said...

Great. I love my crockpot. If I do this,and I plan too. I will note it on my blg wih your link.

Denise said...

Turned out great!! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

It is so funny that you shared this! I was just looking the other day for some crock pot yogurt recipies! Thanks for sharing!

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...