Thursday, February 4, 2010

Green smoothies

Green smoothies seem to be popular all over the Internet. I read about people drinking it, almost sounding like they drink it to feel less guilty about all the unhealthy food they consume the rest of the day:):):) It's all the rage!! HA HA!

I must say though that there is something to this whole green smoothie thing:) I have a particular little one who runs to the blender when she hears it turn on and cries by my feet until the sippy cup full of green goo is placed into her chubby little hands. And I couldn't be happier!!! I mean what parent doesn't like to see her little child chug down a cup full of fresh, ready to be absorbed vitamins and minerals? We call it "youth in a cup":):) If nothing else...at least I don't have to feel guilty about not getting enough greens:) I often tell the kids that the best part of green smoothies is that you eat all your greens and don't even know it!:):)

Here is how I make mine. I've settled into this recipe and have been making it this way for a long time with great success. This "recipe" is baby, toddler, preschool, child, teen aged and adult approved!!

I start by placing about 6 frozen strawberries into the bottom of the blender. Then I take two BIG handfuls of baby spinach and stuff it in. Next I peel 3 ripe bananas and place those on top of the spinach. Next comes some fresh, cold water. The amount depends on how thick you like your smoothie. I like ours to be drinkable but not runny.


Put on the lid and press the "ice crush" button. Once the frozen strawberries are crushed I press "liquefy" and let the blender run until the smoothie turns a nice "spring green"

And yes i have a cheepo blender but it works just fine!:)

A huge glass of this and I'm done breakfast!! Filling, nutritious and refreshing!

TRY IT!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! I have all of those ingredients. Guess what we're having for breakfast tomorrow?

Thanks for the recipe, I almost want to make some right now, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lots of fun stuff going on in your home and kitchen. Every thing edible looks REALLY good and the littles are very cute. *smile* Great job momma! Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings

missionarymomma said...

We love green smoohies here too. What I put in ours changes often. I too love to see my children drink these.

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...