Saturday, October 29, 2016

Why I went dairy free for 7 years and gluten free for 6

There was a time in my life around the age of 30 that my health took a wrong turn...sorta went down the tube. Suddenly I had daily...ALL DAY LONG stomach pain...nausea after eating any tiny little thing, bloating, weight gain, weird rashes that came and went, cystic acne in weird places on my body along with puss filled pimple like things appearing randomly and lasting for weeks at a time only to be replaced by new ones. I remember the summer when I was at summer camp with my kids wearing a swimsuit and I had several of those painful puss filled things on the back of my leg. One in particular  was so big and uncomfortable that when it finally burst I cried and right then and there promised myself  that this had to stop. I remember another time hurrying home from a store because I has such bad diarrhea I couldn't stay to shop anymore. This was a frequent occurrence. I had big red blotches, like hives break out on my stomach and I just felt so defeated and miserable. I was also overweight. No-one knew of course because I didn't advertise my problems and carried on as best as I could.

I scheduled a doctors appointment in high hopes that the doctor would have answers for me.

His answer was..."well I can put you on antacids for a month and see if that helps then come back and see me"

Sorry doc this doesn't satisfy. I worried what the side effects of taking a possibly un~needed medicine for  an entire month would be!!!! Don't doctors think of these things?

He ordered some tests. Everything came back looking fine except my gall bladder. I had gall stones and surgery was booked. I asked the surgeon if my million symptoms would clear up...his answer "no guarantees"

once again...not satisfactory . I left the surgeons office knowing I had to take matters into my own hands. I needed answers...real ones.

So I did what any modern woman would do...I went online and researched:)

I learned that food allergies can cause all sorts of problems and can cause gall stones as well...one of which was linked to dairy allergies.

I then scheduled and appointment with a naturopath who put me on the elimination diet and I started feeling better and loosing around 10 pounds a month. My gall bladder pain was completely GONE!!! ...But some of the rashes didn't clear up so I went back asking to be tested.

The naturopath did blood work on me specifically testing my blood for antibodies to 100 different foods.

the results:

Dairy protein allergy
gluten allergy
allergy to eggs
almond allergy
mushroom allergy
green peppers allergy

So I cut out the one last thing Left in my diet..almonds. My skin cleared up and I continued to loose weight.

I lost a total of 60 pounds in 6 months. Never had to have surgery or see a doctor again!!!

My energy returned, my skin started to glow with health, my eyes turned a deeper brown and I felt healed!!!

Today I can eat small amounts of all of those things, I just have to know my limits. I did gain a little of the weight back but nothing major and I never ever wanna go back to the way I used to feel.

Hope this helps someone



3 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Wow! This is such a great thing to hear. Do you mind saying who your Dr. was, the one that actually helped.
I don't have a lot of symptoms but I do have a few. I would like to get on the right track before I have a crash, so to speak. I have been looking into a Dr. Hagamyer in northern IL, who does functional medicine. That is not to far for us to travel.

Tereza said...

Sister in the Midwest:Hello! Thanks for your comment!I My naturopath was a local lady in my city and she is no longer practicing (had a baby) but she was just a regular naturopath and got me started on the elimination diet. She also gave me some capsules to heal the gut which I feel like really helped...they were for leaky gut but were gentle and mild. Mainly though I think doing my own research was most important! Read everything you can and compare notes..you will be able to find a common thread in your research findings.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I will look into an elimination diet, and doing more research.
I really appreciate you coming to my blog and leaving a comment so that I would know you replied ! :)

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...