Monday, June 20, 2011

~Fruit or Rhubarb Crumb cake~

Crumb Cake

(this recipe is originally from my sister who got it from a Mennonite friend. It is real quick, easy, moist and CHEAP)

2c flour
1c brown sugar
3/4c margarine (I like to use 1c)
Mix together until small crumbs. Set aside one cup worth for later. To the rest add:
1ts baking soda
1 egg
1c milk

sliced fruit
brown sugar to sprinkle on top of fruit

Mix well and pour into greased 9x13 pan. Top with chopped up fruit (in the picture we used sliced apples and then sprinkled them with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. You can also use blueberries and other fruit.) Sprinkle the cup of crumbs on top and gently pat down. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.








Here it is using rhubarb thats sliced thinly:

Just after I sprinkled on the rhubarb and slightly patted them into the batter.
Then I sprinkled it with a generous amount of brown sugar and sprinkled and patted on the reserved crumbs. Then baked to perfection.......
Mmmmmmmmmm!! Serves great with vanilla ice cream or a sprinkling of icing sugar!!
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad you posted this, because I have a package of rhubarb in my freezer that I've been wanting to use up. It looks so yummy!

Heather said...

I made this with rhubarb this afternoon, and it was great! Everyone loved it. And so quick and easy too!

Katy said...

Oh my, it looks just delicious! :)

Gina said...

I planted rhubarb this spring. Can't wait to try recipes like this when it starts producing!
Gina

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...