Thursday, October 7, 2010

Basic white bread for 6 cup capacity bread machines

I'm re posting this bread recipe that I always used in my big bread maker(6 cup capacity) before it died. I miss that bread machine...it made such a nice big loaf!

Here is the recipe of the basic bread machine bread that always turns out, always tastes right, is always light and fluffy yet crispy on the outside. Just the way I like it:)





(the indentation on the top is from the bread rising so high without collapsing that it touched the top of the bread maker) Basic Bread Machine Bread

Ingredients:




  • 2 cups hot water

  • 2 tsp salt

  • 1 1/2 tbs sugar

  • 1/4 cup oil

  • 5 cups flour

  • 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast



Method:




Put ingredients into the bread machine in order listed and set on basic bread setting.




The thing I like about this recipe is its so versatile!




For whole wheat I use 5 cups of whole wheat flour and use 1 1/2 tbs of molasses instead of sugar. I often do 50% and 75% whole wheat loaves as well. They always turn out right!!




The key is to have 5 cups of whatever flour to 2 cups of liquid. As well as always use 1 1/2 tbs sweetener and 2 tsp salt. The yeast content also must remain the same.

EDITED TO ADD: I've been using 2 tbs (instead of 1 1/2)of molasses lately for the WW bread and the loaf is just beautiful!! (Feb 2009)

For the white bread I've been using 2 tbs of honey with AWESOME results!! (Feb 2009)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Mmmm...I want the recipe for whatever's in the slow cooker...that looks DELICIOUS!!

Gluten free pumpkin muffins

These fluffy  muffins are gluten free, dairy free  and not overly sweet. The pecans on the top add a nice crunch.  You could also just omit ...